Home        Links        About

Saturday, September 19, 2020

Unofficial Current Year/Season HURDAT2 Data Output

I've been working on sprucing up my HURDAT2 Parser program (python) a lot lately. Though the new version is unreleased, one method I've been working on is ranking of partial seasons; allowing a specific date to be set, so you could see the most impressive seasons up to a arbitrary point (a month/day). This would also allow ranking of partial data.
Officially, the HURDAT2 database isn't released until Spring. It is not updated during the season. Although it might be available elsewhere (and I admit, I'm impatient), I couldn't find a perpetually-updated version for the current season. So I've been working on formulating a current season HURDAT2 output for the Atlantic basin. This could then be concatenated with the official HURDAT2 (just a text file) for temporary use.


I hope this will be of use to you, especially if you enjoy programming with data like I do.

* One thing I ask is that it is never represented as being even remotely affiliated with NOAA data, though that's the primary source from which it was formulated.

* I used the regularly updated best-track data and NHC's public advisory archive to get the data. Then I used python to generate a hurdat2 formatted output

* Please read my disclaimers on my GitHub page

* Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment